Data Science Change LogCheck out the recent content updates to the Data Science domain 📝
May 16, 2022 - Launch of 2 New Data Scientist Career Paths and a New BI Data Analyst Career Path!
Dear Learners, On May 16th, we will be releasing a new structure to our Data Scientist/Analyst Career Paths. The new paths are completely reorganized, allowing you to specialize in the kind of data science you are most interested in while preparing you to apply for generalist data science roles, too.
Specialized Data Scientist Career Paths
The new Data Science Career Paths are:
- Machine Learning/Algorithms Data Scientist
- Analytics Data Scientist
- Inference Data Scientist
- Natural Language Processing Data Scientist
All of the Data Scientist Career Paths Start with the same core content (Foundations of Data Science) and then branch into a specialization. So, you can start anywhere, and if you decide to change tracks, your progress will transfer.
If you are currently enrolled in the Data Scientist or Data Analyst Career Paths, you will automatically be enrolled in the updated Machine Learning/Algorithms Data Scientist or the Analytics Data Scientist Career Paths, respectively.
February 9, 2022 - Updates to Analyze Data with Python Skill Path
December 1, 2022 - New Feature Engineering Skill Path!
Check out our new Skill Path on Feature Engineering to learn how to prepare your data for Machine Learning!
Oct 26, 2021 - Updates to Data Scientist and Data Analyst Career Paths
Updates to our Data Analyst and Data Scientist Career Paths
Dear Learners, We will be updating some of our Python lessons and projects beginning November 15, 2021. If you have completed the affected lessons or projects, any code you wrote may no longer work properly. This change will not affect your progress.
A complete list to all of the lessons and projects is below.
Content Items (in order)
- Python Fundamentals Track
- Python Loops Module
- List Comprehension - Code Challenge Lesson
- Data Manipulation in Pandas Track
- Python Lambda Functions Module
- Lambda Function Code Challenge Lesson
- Hands on with Pandas Module
- Creating, Loading, and Selecting Data with Pandas Lesson
- Modifying DataFrames Lesson
- Petal Power Inventory
- Aggregates in Pandas Module
- Aggregates in Pandas Lesson
- A/B Testing for ShoeFly.com
- Multiple Tables in Pandas Module
- Working with Multiple DataFrames Lesson
- Page Visits Funnel
- Data Visualization Track
- Data Visualization with Matplotlib Module
- Line Graphs in Matplotlib Lesson
- Sublime Limes’ Line Graphs
- Different Plot Types Lesson
- Recreate Graphs using Matplotlib!
- Matplotlib Challenge Projects Module
- Foundations of Machine Learning Track
July 27, 2021 - Updates to Data Scientist and Data Analyst Career Paths
We will be updating the Data Scientist and Data Analyst Career Paths on July 27 to include additional modules about Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA), which will also be released as an individual course on EDA. The new content includes:
- Modules on Data Wrangling and Tidying
- More content on Data Visualization
- EDA for both Supervised and Unsupervised machine learning.
April 26, 2021 - Updates to Master Statistics with Python Skill Path
Along with the updates to the Master Statistics with Python Skill Path that we announced on April 12, two additional updates will launch today:
- New track: Visualizing Categorical Data
- New module: Bar Charts and Pie Charts
- Eight new videos throughout the path, which were originally filmed as livestream sessions on YouTube:
- Inspecting a Dataset
- Summary Statistics and Data Viz
- Associations between Variables
- The Central Limit Theorem
- Simulating a Binomial Test
- Significance Thresholds and Multiple Hypothesis Tests
- Hypothesis Testing for an Association
- A/B Testing
Note that you do not need to watch all of these videos in order to complete the path. Once you open each informational, it will mark them as complete. However, we highly recommend checking them out if you’ve never seen our live series before! The videos come with live demos, as well as additional sample code and data that can be downloaded from GitHub.
April 12, 2021 - Updates to Master Statistics with Python Skill Path
We will be updating the Master Statistics with Python Skill Path on April 26 to include two additional tracks, which will also be released as individual courses. Each track contain will contain three new modules:
- New track: Probability
- New module: Rules of Probability
- New module: Probability Distributions
- New module: Sampling Distributions
- New track: Linear Regression
- New module: Simple Linear Regression
- New module: Multiple Linear Regression
- New module: Choosing a Linear Regression Model
March 22, 2021 & April 1, 2021 - Jupyter Notebook Articles Are Fixed
The following articles in our Getting Started Off-Platform series have been updated:
These appear in the Getting Started Off-Platform section of Python Fundamentals in the Data Scientist, Data Analyst Career Paths, and Visualize Data with Python Skill Path as well as our Portfolio Projects and Challenge Projects. What we’ve done:
- 🐛 Fixed broken links.
- 🏗 Rewrote tutorials for clarity.
- 📸 Updated screenshots.
March 16, 2021 - Python 3 Updates in Career Paths
- 🏗 Rewrote module: Functions
- 🏗 Rewrote module: Lists
- 🏗 Rewrote module: Loops
- 🆕 Added article: Combining Lists: The Zip Function
- 🐛 Fixed recent bug reports
March 12, 2021 - Data Scientist and Data Analyst Career Path Updates
Career Path Groups Launch
Learning should be social and when changing careers, it’s important to gain collaboration skills. When you enroll in the a Career Path, you’ll now be placed in a group with other learners who enrolled that week.
🆕 At the beginning of the Path there is a new Community Resources informational that directs you to your new group so you can meet other folks getting started in data science.
🆕 At different intervals in the Path, you’ll see prompts for the following activities:
- code review
- group projects
Each also includes the resources you need to get started!
I’m already enrolled in the Data Scientist or Data Analyst Path—do I have a group?
Everyone who is currently enrolled in either Career Path has automatically been placed in a group based on your enrollment date. All you need to do is click the link in the informationals to be connected with your group in the forums!
Do I have to do these activities with my group?
While you’ll first join your group on the forums, you’re welcome to use any of our other community spaces (data-science Discord or data-analyst Discord, Codecademy Chapters, or Facebook) to connect with other Codecademy learners and do group programming activities.
Do I need to do these activities?
These activities are fully optional and you do not need to complete them in order to complete the path. However, we highly encourage everyone to try at least one of the activities! You’re also welcome to do these activities as often as you like—no need to wait for our suggestions.
🆕 You’ll see that we now have a dedicated ‘Community Resources’ Informational, which includes:
- the link to connect with your group
- other information about our community spaces
🏗 We’ve also updated two other informationals with more clarity about what to expect.
March 11, 2021 - Natural Language Processing course to Skill Path conversion
🏗 We’ve converted the Natural Language Processing course into a brand-new Skill Path. The original course page still contains Getting Started with Natural Language Processing. Meanwhile, the new Skill Path contains all of our current NLP content, along with the following:
- 🆕 Informationals to better frame some of the content in context.
- 🆕 External resources, including books and documentation to supplement your learning.
- 🆕 A final Portfolio Project where you can analyze text message data.
- 🐛 Fixed recent bug reports.
Feb 26, 2021 - Updates to the Learn to Program Alexa and Learn Conversational Design with Alexa Courses
🏗 Echosim.io, the browser-based tool for testing your Alexa skills, is going to be deprecated in the coming weeks. We’ve removed all references to Echosim.io and instead referred learners to the Alexa skill simulator on the Test page in the Alexa Developer Console. There should be no impact on your existing progress in the courses.
January 21, 2021 - Updates to the Data Scientist Career Path
🏗 Since we’ve developed the Data Analyst Career Path and recently launched the Master Statistics Skill Path, we wanted to include new, relevant content in the Data Scientist Career Path. The following units will be updated:
- 🆕 Python Fundamentals: In Python Syntax, there is a new article about variable types.
- 🆕 Data Acquisition: In SQL, we’ve included two more helpful external resources.
- 🏗 Data Manipulation: The challenge project This Is Jeopardy! has been moved from Hypothesis Testing to this unit where it is a better fit.
- 🆕 Data Wrangling and Tidying: We’ve added new articles and external content on Tidy Data and Exploratory Data Analysis.
- 🆕 Summary Statistics and Hypothesis Testing: Our new content sets up a more solid statistics foundation for burgeoning data scientists and analysts.
- 🆕 Variable Types — article, lesson, quiz and project
- 🆕 Summary Statistics for Categorical Data — lesson, quiz, and project
- 🆕 Visualizing Categorical Data — lesson, quiz, and project
- 🆕 Data Transformation — 3 articles, project
- 🆕 Associations between Variables — article, 3 lessons, quiz, project
- 🆕 Exploratory Data Analysis for Summary Statistics — article
- 🆕 Hypothesis Testing: Testing an Association — 2 lessons, 1 quiz
- 🆕 Experimental Design — article, 2 lessons, quiz, project
- 🆕 Data Visualization: We’ve added a new article and external resources for EDA, plus a new external resource for selecting visualizations. 🏗 The Twitch projects have been updated, and your progress may be impacted here.
- 🆕 Communicating Data Science Findings: There’s a new, helpful external resource here.
- 🏗 Additional SQL has been renamed SQL for Interview Prep with the addition of more advanced SQL content, including Window Functions, and common interview problems.