Up Next on Velo
From the Beginning
In the beginning, you used Wix to drag and drop elements, but since then, you’ve done so much more. From creating simple Wix websites to comfortably using the platform to build dynamic websites in Velo, you’ve become a professional Wix developer.
Let’s briefly recap the topics you encountered on your Wix journey.
You then brought websites to life by manipulating Wix elements through
$w selectors. Additionally, implementing built-in methods and functions like
.onMouseIn() and giving users the ability to interact with Wix elements.
Taking your Wix websites further, you learned how to make websites dynamic by utilizing data with Wix’s built-in Content Collections, Datasets, and dynamic pages, all of which streamline the process of storing and accessing information.
Creating a Backend
Although the work you completed up to this point primarily focused on making the frontend of Wix websites beautiful and interactive, you also learned how a website’s backend is just as important since it handles logic behind the scenes from the user interface.
To expand on your already powerful Wix websites while cutting down on development time, you accessed and sent resources across the internet through the
wix-fetch module. For example, instead of building a complex real-time weather database for the “Travel Time” site, the
wix-fetch module was used to contact a weather API via an HTTP request and GET current conditions at each of the travel destinations.
Take a second to congratulate yourself, you’ve learned a lot! That quick recap only covered some of the concepts you learned but it doesn’t do justice to all the time you spent reading other documentation, debugging, and figuring out creative solutions to expand upon your projects!
Additional Topics for Exploration
In the world of web development, new technologies like languages and libraries pop up all the time. You’ve learned a lot and now have the hallmarks of a competent web developer. For the truly intrepid, there’s still more things to explore. For instance on Wix, you can learn:
- Http-functions - which allows you to turn a site into an API endpoint.
- Programmatically interacting with Repeaters - so you can create dynamic elements using code.
- NPM Packages - NPM Packages are open sourced libraries of code that you can use to speed up your development.
- Job Scheduler - if you need your site to do something routinely, like updating the sale items there’s a holiday, or posting the weather daily, etc… then a job scheduler is the right tool for you.
- Site Monitoring - it’s important to be able to see how your site is running and have a tool let you know if something goes wrong.
- Wix-storage - keeps track of specific user data, like if a user is logged, or what’s items are in their cart.
- Wix-location - gives you the ability to get information about the users’ current page and provide instructions for how to navigate to other pages.
- Wix-window - provides even more functionality for the browser window - directing the browser on where to scroll to.
- Secrets Manager - securely store sensitive information like API keys.
Depending on your site’s needs, these built-in Wix features can be extremely convenient to use and as any all like the other features you’ve learned about, easy to implement.
Wix Velo Certification
Sign up to undergo the certification process if you’re interested by going to https://www.wix.com/velo/certification.
The entire process is free and can be broken up into 3 major steps:
- Create a functional website using Velo that adheres to Wix’s guidelines.
- Show off your certification!
If you don’t pass the first time around, you still have a second chance! The Velo certificate is the official document issued by Wix that ensures any client who needs a Wix site that you’re up to the task.
As you can see, you’ve done so much and yet there is still so much to explore! What you choose to do now is entirely up to you and your interests.
Here are a few helpful resources to guide you along the way:
- Velo API Documentation
- Full Velo Documentation
- Velo Code Examples
- Velo Forum
- Keep up to date with Velo development through their Blog
The knowledge rests in your hands, and it’s now up to you to continue exploring the ins and outs of Velo by Wix — we can’t wait to see what you make!