Picture your all-time favorite video game. What aspects of the game help to make it a favorite? Is it the relatable or exciting characters, the captivating graphics in each scene, or the musical soundtrack? These video game features are assets that help make the game more enjoyable and memorable.
An asset in game development is an art component that contributes to the game’s look, feel, and sound. Examples of assets include the characters, visual environment and scenes, sound effects, and soundtracks.
In this lesson, we will cover:
- What assets are and how they have transformed over the years
- How asset objects are conceptualized and modeled for game integration
- How character assets are created
- How environment or scene level objects are created
- How sound effects are created and the different ways they are used in video games
- How musical compositions or the soundtrack for a game is created and used
It’s time to learn and play!
Click through the slideshow to see examples of character assets from a few popular video games.