- The A* algorithm is a greedy graph search algorithm that optimizes looking for a target vertex.
- A* is a modification of Dijkstra’s done by adding the estimated distance of each vertex to the goal vertex when searching.
- We can modify Dijkstra’s and turn it into A* by changing the following:
- Adding a target for the search.
- Gathering possible optimal paths and identify a single shortest path.
- Implementing a heuristic that determines the likely distance remaining.
- The runtime of A* is O(bd) where
bis the branching factor of the graph and
dis the depth of the goal vertex from the start vertex.
- A* is an introductory glimpse into artificial intelligence.
Sign up to start coding