The interquartile range is the difference between the third quartile (Q3) and the first quartile (Q1). If you need a refresher on quartiles, you can take a look at our lesson.
For now, all you need to know is that the first quartile is the value that separates the first 25% of the data from the remaining 75%.
The third quartile is the opposite — it separates the first 75% of the data from the remaining 25%.
The interquartile range is the difference between these two values.
We’ve calculated the first quartile of
songs and stored it in the variable
Calculate the third quartile and store it in a variable named
To calculate the third quartile, call the same function, but change the second parameter to
Now that we have both the first quartile and the third quartile, let’s calculate the IQR.
Create a variable named
interquartile_range and set it equal to the difference between