$ ls -l
drwxr-xr-x 5 cc eng 4096 Jun 24 16:51 action
drwxr-xr-x 4 cc eng 4096 Jun 24 16:51 comedy
drwxr-xr-x 6 cc eng 4096 Jun 24 16:51 drama
-rw-r--r-- 1 cc eng 0 Jun 24 16:51 genres.txt
-l option lists files and directories as a table. Here there are four rows, with seven columns separated by spaces. Here's what each column means:
- Access rights. These are actions that are permitted on a file or directory.
- Number of hard links. This number counts the number of child directories and files. This number includes the parent directory link (
..) and current directory link (
- The username of the file's owner. Here the username is
- The name of the group that owns the file. Here the group name is
- The size of the file in bytes.
- The date & time that the file was last modified.
- The name of the file or directory.