Learn Bash Scripting
In this course, you will learn how to improve your own programming process by writing bash scripts that save you precious time.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary1 hour
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
Prerequisites1 courseWe suggest you complete the following courses before you get started with Learn Bash Scripting:
- Learn the Command Line
About this course
Any command you can run in your terminal can be run using Bash scripting. When you have a command or set of commands that you will be using frequently, you can write a script in Bash to perform it. This course will guide you through writing your own scripts to automate a number of processes, and how to write aliases to make calling those scripts easier.
Projects in this course
Learn Bash Scripting course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
What Is Bash Used For?
If you’ve ever opened up the terminal on your Mac, then you may have wondered what to do next. What exactly are you supposed to type in when you see that retro-looking cursor?
While most of us control our computers with a mouse, the keyboard can also be heavily utilized to interact with it. Developers on macOS and Linux machines use Bash every day to work with files and applications and save time or make the most of limited computing resources.
In this article, we’ll go over what Bash is, what it’s used for, and how to get started with Bash.
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn Bash Scripting today!
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
Introduction to LinuxIn this introductory course, we'll be getting familiar with Linux and how to navigate within a Linux environment!With Certificate4 hours
Learn to Prevent Cross-Site Scripting with Node.jsLearn how to identify and prevent different types of Cross-Site Scripting attacks in Node.js apps.With Certificate1 hour
- Skill path
Software Engineering for Data ScientistsData Scientists often work with engineering teams. Learn the software engineering skills you need to bridge the gap between data science andIncludes 7 CoursesWith Certificate21 hours
Browse more topics
- DevOps2,934,450 learners enrolled
- Bash/Shell614,611 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,212,883 learners enrolled
- For Business9,748,895 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,437,922 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,873,620 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,784,044 learners enrolled
- Python4,529,956 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,095,913 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.