Time to completeApprox. 1 hour
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Choosing your first language can be difficult and stressful. This course aims to make it easier. By taking this course, you will be more confident in choosing a language to learn. After this course, you will be ready to learn to code in a language of your choice!
Skills you'll gain
Comparing and contrasting languages
Choosing the language that’s right for you
Choosing a Programming Language
We will describe what to consider when choosing a first language, and introduce some choices at a high level.
Hands-on learningDon’t just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You’ll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Choosing a Programming Language course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Looking for something else?
What is R?And what is R programming used for?
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Computer Architecture: Assembly LanguageLearn about Assembly languages and the role they play in computer architectures.Beginner Friendly1 hour
Language ParsingApply regular expressions (regex) and other natural language parsing tactics to find meaning and insights in the texts you read every day.With CertificateIntermediate2 hours
Getting Started with Natural Language ProcessingHumans communicate with language, but computers communicate with data. Discover how to translate between the two in this course.With CertificateBeginner Friendly1 hour
Browse more topics
- Code Foundations12,507,297 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,148,285 learners enrolled
- For Business9,519,819 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,631,662 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,576,443 learners enrolled
- Python4,370,504 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing3,952,070 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,733,421 learners enrolled
- IT3,698,501 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.