Learn about the rules, organization of components, and processes that allow computers to process instructions.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary5 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
Prerequisites1 courseWe suggest you complete the following courses before you get started with Computer Architecture:
- Learn Python 3
About this course
In this course, you’ll learn about what the main physical components of a computer are, why 0 and 1 are such important numbers within computing, how instruction set architecture (ISA) establishes communication between the hardware and software components of a computer, and more. Starting from understanding how a computer works to learning about data-level parallelism, this course will teach you computer architecture with a combination of lessons, articles, quizzes, problem sets, and projects. At the end of the course, you’ll be prompted to create your own CPU simulator in Python.
Syllabus8 lessons • 2 projects • 6 quizzes
Projects in this course
Creating an Adder CircuitUse your knowledge of logic gates to create a circuit that computes the sum of binary digits.
Ultra Super Calculation ComputerCreate a simple calculator application in Python that uses a 32-bit Instruction Set Architecture that the student designs to read and execute binary instructions. It simulates the basic CPU function in the computer hierarchy.
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Join over 50 million learners and start Computer Architecture today!
Looking for something else?
The Instruction CycleLearn about the different stages an instruction goes through in order to be processed by the CPU.
Cache Eviction PoliciesLearn about how to keep the most relevant data inside of a cache.
Training Set vs Validation Set vs Test SetThis article teaches the importance of splitting a data set into training, validation and test sets.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Computer Architecture: Instruction Set ArchitectureLearn about how your computer's hardware and software communicate using Instruction Set Architecture.1 hour
- Free course
Computer Architecture: Assembly LanguageLearn about Assembly languages and the role they play in computer architectures.1 hour
- Free course
Computer Architecture: IntroductionLearn about the basics of computer architecture and work with binary numbers and logic gates.2 hours
Browse more topics
- Computer Science7,448,262 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,223,128 learners enrolled
- For Business9,755,284 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,880,841 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,791,767 learners enrolled
- Python4,536,495 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,102,481 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,903,605 learners enrolled
- IT3,860,812 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.