Time to completeApprox. 4 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Gain foundational knowledge in the video game development process. In this course, you will learn:
- Game Design: Take an idea to a full design ready for developers and asset creators
- Gameplay Development: Understand the inner workings of an engaging game, such as gameplay mechanics, artificial intelligence, and user experience
- Game Assets: Learn how immersive games are made using art and sound assets
- Tools: Learn about the tool of the trade, from programming languages to game engines
Syllabus4 lessons • 4 quizzes
Hands-on learningDon’t just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You’ll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Introduction to Game Development course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.
Frequently asked questions about Game Development
Game development is the process of creating video games — using technical knowledge and skills to turn game concepts and ideas into reality. While it sounds pretty straightforward, it’s a broad field that involves coding, art design, project management, and more (which we’ll explore in this course).