Introduction to Game Development
Explore video game development, including game design, gameplay development, and asset creation.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary1 hour
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Gain foundational knowledge in the video game development process. In this course, you will learn:
- Game Design: Take an idea to a full design ready for developers and asset creators
- Gameplay Development: Understand the inner workings of an engaging game, such as gameplay mechanics, artificial intelligence, and user experience
- Game Assets: Learn how immersive games are made using art and sound assets
- Tools: Learn about the tool of the trade, from programming languages to game engines
Syllabus4 lessons • 4 quizzes
Introduction to Game Development course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Frequently asked questions about Game Development
Game development is the process of creating video games — using technical knowledge and skills to turn game concepts and ideas into reality. While it sounds pretty straightforward, it’s a broad field that involves coding, art design, project management, and more (which we’ll explore in this course).
Join over 50 million learners and start Introduction to Game Development today!
Looking for something else?
Developing Phaser 3 Games LocallyLearn how to develop Phaser 3 games locally on your own computer.
HTML5 Game Development with PhaserLearn about HTML5 game development with one of the most popular frameworks, Phaser!
Game Development with Unreal EngineLearn about game development with one of the most popular game engines, Unreal Engine!
Related courses and paths
- Skill path
Build iOS Apps with SwiftUILearn how to build iOS applications with Swift and SwiftUI and publish them to Apples' App Store.Includes 7 CoursesWith Certificate12 hours
API Development with Swagger and OpenAPILearn how to develop APIs using Swagger tooling and the OpenAPI specification.With Certificate< 1 hour
- Free course
Learn Testing for Web Development: FundamentalsBuild better and more maintainable web applications through test-driven development.1 hour
Browse more topics
- Game Development209,461 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,453,026 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,227,896 learners enrolled
- For Business9,758,468 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,884,362 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,795,444 learners enrolled
- Python4,539,400 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,105,409 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,906,912 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.