Learn C++: References and Pointers
References and pointers are some of the most powerful features in C++; they allow programmers to directly manipulate memory.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary1 hour
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
Prerequisites1 courseWe suggest you complete the following courses before you get started with Learn C++: References and Pointers:
- Learn C++: Classes and Objects
About this course
Continue your C++ learning journey with Learn C++: References and Pointers. Learn about memory allocation and how to conserve it with references and pointers. Pass variables by reference and use pointers when references aren’t the most efficient choice.
Skills you'll gain
Create references and pointers
Understand memory allocation
Projects in this course
Learn C++: References and Pointers course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn C++: References and Pointers today!
Looking for something else?
The Two-Pointer Technique in a Linked ListLearn about how the most common singly linked list problems can be solved by iterating with two-pointers.
Memory AllocationWhat is memory allocation? And what is manual memory management?
Binary Application AttacksLearn about attacks that target binary applications, often via memory manipulation.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn C#: ReferencesUnlock the power of references, an essential aspect of object-oriented programming in C#.2 hours
- Free course
Learn C++Learn C++ — a versatile programming language that’s important for developing software, games, databases, and more.11 hours
- Skill path
Learn CLearn about the C programming language in this beginner-friendly skill path.Includes 6 CoursesWith Certificate10 hours
Browse more topics
- Computer Science7,448,262 learners enrolled
- C++1,117,317 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,223,128 learners enrolled
- For Business9,755,284 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,880,841 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,791,767 learners enrolled
- Python4,536,495 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,102,481 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,903,605 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.