Why Learn Go?
Go (or Golang) is an open source programming language designed to build fast, reliable, and efficient software at scale.
Google uses Go specifically for its large networks of servers, and Go also powers much of Google’s own cloud platform. Developers use Go in application development, web development, in operations and infrastructure teams, and much more. It is the language of Cloud Native infrastructure and software development.
As Go’s popularity and adoption continue to increase, we’ll see even greater usage and more creative implementations of the language!
In this course, we will cover:
- The setup of a Go environment and how to create a Go file.
- Go’s data types and variables.
- Go’s conditional statements.
- Using functions in Go.
What Will You Build?
- Gopher It: Print out ASCII art using Go.
- Comic Mischief: Use variables to store data about a comic shop.
- Bank Heist: Simulate a bank heist using conditionals.
- Interstellar Travel: Call the functions of a space-traveling agency.
Create a Go program from scratch. You'll be incorporating the concepts covered in the first lesson.
Become the software administrator of the comic book store you own and operate, Comic Mischief. Use variables to store data about your shop and update those variables to maintain an internal state of what comics are being added to the store!
Using your knowledge of conditionals and generating random numbers to create a bank heist simulator.
— Madelyn, Pinterest“I know from first-hand experience that you can go in knowing zero, nothing, and just get a grasp on everything as you go and start building right away.”