Time to completeApprox. 6 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Programming is all around us, from the take-out we order to the movies we stream. Whether you’re about to start your journey as a developer or just want to increase your digital literacy, knowing the basics of coding will be beneficial to your career. Instead of teaching a specific programming language, this course teaches programming fundamentals that can be helpful for any language you learn.
Skills you'll gain
Build a programming foundation
Learn variables and functions
Understand control flow
Syllabus7 lessons • 7 quizzes
Hands-on learningDon’t just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You’ll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Learn How to Code course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- Fantastic intro course. The mixture of written and practical work really helps the information sink in and is also fun!BWVerified Learner
- Amazing! I came to this knowing NOTHING about coding. It is written clearly and accessibly to novices and I can't wait to continue learning.Es H.Verified Learner
- This was my VERY first introduction to coding, and it made me feel really confident about approaching something that I have no background in! I am looking forward to diving deeper into programming now! :)Bell B.Verified Learner
Our learners work at
Frequently asked questions about How to Code
Coding involves giving a computer a set of instructions to execute using a programming language like Python or Java. While each programming language has its own way of giving instructions, they all use the fundamental programming concepts covered in this course.
Looking for something else?
What is Programming?Programming is a collaboration between humans and computers.
Functional Programming in PythonAn intro to functional programming in Python
Pair Programming: What It Is, Why People Use It, and How You Can Learn To Pair ProgramLearn about what pair programming is and how to run your first pair programming session
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn C: Variables and OperatorsLearn how to store and manipulate your data with C variables and operators.Beginner Friendly2 hours
- Skill path
Learn CLearn about the C programming language in this beginner-friendly skill path.Includes 6 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly10 hours
- Free course
Learn C#Learn Microsoft's popular C# programming language, used to make websites, mobile apps, video games, VR, and more.Beginner Friendly20 hours
Browse more topics
- Code Foundations12,507,297 learners enrolled
- For Business9,519,819 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,148,285 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,631,662 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,576,443 learners enrolled
- Python4,370,504 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing3,952,070 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,733,421 learners enrolled
- IT3,698,501 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.