Start at the beginning by learning HTML basics — an important foundation for building and editing web pages.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary7 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Fun fact: all websites use HTML — even this one. It’s a fundamental part of every web developer’s toolkit. HTML provides the content that gives web pages structure, by using elements and tags, you can add text, images, videos, forms, and more. Learning HTML basics is an important first step in your web development journey and an essential skill for front- and back-end developers.
Skills you'll gain
Structure pages with HTML
Present data with tables
Write cleaner HTML
Syllabus6 lessons • 4 projects • 5 quizzes
Projects in this course
Fashion BlogIt's time to build fluency in HTML Fundamentals. In this next project, we're going to practice Structure in HTML so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? This project will help you to understand and master the building blocks of a webpage. It'll all build up from these foundations. What's next? A blogger, a developer, a stylish website. You got this!
Wine Festival ScheduleIn this project, we're going to practice tabular organization in HTML so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? If you're going to have data on a webpage, you've got to master the skill of effectively and aesthetically organizing it – an HTML table is the perfect solution.
Form a StoryUse your knowledge of HTML forms to collect input users and put a spin on a classic story!
Learn HTML course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- This course was made so easy to understand for people like me who have never had any experience with coding. I liked that they have you work with projects while they teach you concepts. As someone who is more of a hands-on learner, this method was incredibly helpful.Maria G.Verified Learner
- This course was honestly fantastic. The lessons along with the practice make retention 10x easier, which is usually really hard with online course material.Miles L.Verified Learner
- Best course for beginners! That's the only way to describe it. And to top it off, everything is conveniently accessible on the same screen—absolutely no hassle at all!Adollet K.Verified Learner
Our learners work at
Frequently asked questions about HTML
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn HTML today!
Looking for something else?
HTML GlossaryProgramming reference for HTML elements.
Create Your First Local HTML/CSS ProjectUse the tools on your own computer to start your own HTML/CSS project!
Create and View a Web Page on Your ComputerIf you've completed many Codecademy courses, but still find yourself asking, "Where can I write code on my own computer?", then start here!
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn HTML: FundamentalsBuild an important foundation for creating the structure and content for web pages.2 hours
- Free course
Learn HTML: FormsLearn how to create HTML forms with various input fields to collect and validate user data.2 hours
- Free course
Learn HTML: TablesLearn how to create HTML tables to present data in an organized manner and format your tables with CSS.1 hour
Browse more topics
- Web Development6,899,584 learners enrolled
- HTML & CSS3,741,673 learners enrolled
- For Business9,772,007 learners enrolled
- Web Design3,704,789 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,248,491 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,474,701 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,811,391 learners enrolled
- Python4,552,416 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,118,359 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.