Learn Intermediate Java: Serialization
In this course, we’ll learn about Java’s Serializable interface and how serialization and deserialization work in Java.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary2 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
Prerequisites1 courseWe suggest you complete the following courses before you get started with Learn Intermediate Java: Serialization:
- Learn Java
About this course
Often, when creating Java applications and working with objects, we find the need to persist them. Specifically, we need to be able to store an object’s state (member fields) in files, in memory, or in a database. Java provides the Serializable interface to do just that.
Skills you'll gain
Use Java’s Serializable interface
Handle common serialization Exceptions
Implement writeObject() and readObject()
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn Intermediate Java: Serialization today!
Looking for something else?
Java and the Command LineA brief overview of running Java through the command line.
Java Program StructureJava programs have a specific structure. Let's take a closer look at the Hello World program — line by line!
Java Style GuideLet's look at a few Java standards before we jump into the syntax.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Intro to JavaGet started with Java by learning about the basics of a Java program and variables!6 hours
- Free course
Learn JavaLearn to code in Java — a robust programming language used to create software, web and mobile apps, and more.16 hours
Learn Advanced JavaLearn the basics of parallel and concurrent programming, servlets, and sockets in this advanced Java course.With Certificate3 hours
Browse more topics
- Computer Science7,453,026 learners enrolled
- Java1,716,977 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,227,896 learners enrolled
- For Business9,758,468 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,884,362 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,795,444 learners enrolled
- Python4,539,400 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,105,409 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,906,912 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.