Learn Java: Object-Oriented Programming
Explore classes and objects in this introduction to object-oriented programming with Java.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary3 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
Prerequisites1 courseWe suggest you complete the following courses before you get started with Learn Java: Object-Oriented Programming:
- Intro to Java
About this course
Object-oriented programming is a common style of programming where you design your code to function like objects in the real world. In Java, understanding the basics of object-oriented programming is especially important because every piece of Java code that you write interacts with objects and classes.
In this course, you’ll learn the foundations of object-oriented programming, write your own classes, create your own objects, and finally dive into some of the most common built-in Java classes.
Projects in this course
Build A DroidPractice object-oriented Java by creating a `Droid` class and creating different instances of Droid. Droids are robots built to perform tasks. A droid can be built for any task so it's the perfect candidate for a Java class!
A Basic CalculatorIn this project, we're going to practice Classes, Methods, Objects in Java so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? It's vital that you get comfortable creating classes and writing methods that perform various operations.
Learn Java: Object-Oriented Programming course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn Java: Object-Oriented Programming today!
Looking for something else?
Java and the Command LineA brief overview of running Java through the command line.
Java Program StructureJava programs have a specific structure. Let's take a closer look at the Hello World program — line by line!
Java Style GuideLet's look at a few Java standards before we jump into the syntax.
Related courses and paths
- Skill path
Study for the AP Computer Science A Exam (Java)Master the core concepts covered in AP Computer Science A Exam and gain a solid understanding of programming and fluency in Java.Includes 8 CoursesWith Certificate19 hours
- Free course
Learn JavaLearn to code in Java — a robust programming language used to create software, web and mobile apps, and more.16 hours
- Free course
Learn C++: Classes and ObjectsSharpen your C++ skills by learning how to use C++ classes and objects to build more scalable, modular programs.1 hour
Browse more topics
- Java1,711,779 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,198,737 learners enrolled
- For Business9,739,276 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,423,561 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,863,104 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,773,222 learners enrolled
- Python4,521,185 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,087,334 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,886,895 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.