Learn to code in Java — a robust programming language used to create software, web and mobile apps, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary16 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Popular for its versatility and ability to create a wide variety of applications, learning Java opens up your possibilities when coding. With it, you’ll be able to develop large systems, software, and mobile applications — and even create mobile apps for Android. Learn important Java coding fundamentals and practice your new skills with real-world projects.
Skills you'll gain
Build core programming concepts
Learn object-oriented concepts
Create Java projects
Syllabus16 lessons • 14 projects • 15 quizzes
Projects in this course
Planting a TreeWrite your first Java program from scratch by introducing yourself to users and planting a tree for them. You'll practice creating a class, defining the main method, and organizing print statements.
Java Variables: Mad LibsIn this project, we're going to practice creating variables and printing. We're going to put your skills to the test by generating a story, Mad Libs style.
Math MagicIt's time to build fluency with operators in Java. In this project, we're going to practice arithmetic in Java so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? Practicing computing integer values with Java's arithmetic operators will help you with a wide, wide range of Java tasks in the future. What's next? Some math, more Java, and a sprinkle of magic. You got this!
Learn Java course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- Really helped me grasp the basics of Java that I couldn't really understand otherwise. I highly recommended this for new programmers or even lightly experienced ones such as myself and I will 100% recommend this to anyone I know who is into coding.Seamus B.Verified Learner
- Easy to follow and well explained. The concepts cover the range of topics that are vital to getting started in Java and challenging enough to be useful, but with enough help to let you understand if you get stuck.Chris J.Verified Learner
- I loved this course. It was very on pace for somebody who wanted to learn how to program properly. I've bene trying to learn for many years, but no one has explained it so simply as Codecademy. Thanks Codecademy!Mihai C.Verified Learner
Our learners work at
Frequently asked questions about Java
Java is an open-source, general-purpose programming language known for its versatility and stability. It’s used for everything from building websites to operating systems and wearable devices. You can even find Java in outer space, running the Mars rover.
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn Java today!
Looking for something else?
Java and the Command LineA brief overview of running Java through the command line.
Java Program StructureJava programs have a specific structure. Let's take a closer look at the Hello World program — line by line!
Java Style GuideLet's look at a few Java standards before we jump into the syntax.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Intro to JavaGet started with Java by learning about the basics of a Java program and variables!6 hours
- Free course
Learn Java: Loops and ArraysTake your programming skills to the next level by learning about arrays and loops.5 hours
- Skill path
Create REST APIs with Spring and JavaBy the end of this Skill Path, you will have created your very own API using the Spring framework and Java language.Includes 9 CoursesWith Certificate20 hours
Browse more topics
- Cloud Computing4,098,222 learners enrolled
- Mobile Development1,872,367 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,216,713 learners enrolled
- For Business9,751,337 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,441,649 learners enrolled
- Java1,714,995 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,876,488 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,786,833 learners enrolled
- Python4,532,293 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.