Learn the basics of Lua, a general-purpose programming language used for building games, web apps, and developer tools.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary4 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Lua is a powerful and intuitive general-purpose programming language used for building games (such as Roblox, World of Warcraft, and Angry Birds), web apps (such as Venmo and Adobe), and developer tools. This course for beginners will teach you the basics of programming with the Lua language while giving you interactive practice building terminal-based programs.
Syllabus5 lessons • 4 projects • 5 quizzes
Projects in this course
Mystic Moon Potion ShopCreate a receipt generator for a fictional potion shop using data types, operators, and variables.
Magic Eight BallWe've learned how to harness the power of control structures, so let's put that knowledge to use and tell someone's fortune.
Fahrenheit ConverterIn this project you'll be writing a program to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius and Kelvin. Specifically, focusing on writing functions that can be re-used to handle these conversions.
Learn Lua course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- I thought this course was amazing! I definitely had an amazing time learning how to code in Lua with this course. The steps were easy to follow and specific enough to execute. I had a blast learning.Keon C.Verified Learner
- This course was very different from all the other courses I have done. It is the perfect course to learn coding on. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and look forward to future experiences with Codecademy.Grant B.Verified Learner
- This course is an amazing start to new coders, and makes real-world activities much more easier.Luke G.Verified Learner
Our learners work at
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn Lua today!
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn C++: IntroductionDive into C++, a flexible and well-supported language that's still widely used now, over 40 years after its conception.4 hours
- Free course
Learn Swift: Conditionals and LoopsContinue your Swift journey by learning how to make more efficient programs with conditionals and loops!3 hours
- Free course
Learn C++Learn C++ — a versatile programming language that’s important for developing software, games, databases, and more.11 hours
Browse more topics
- Web Development6,884,362 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,227,896 learners enrolled
- For Business9,758,468 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,453,026 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,795,444 learners enrolled
- Python4,539,400 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,105,409 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,906,912 learners enrolled
- IT3,864,039 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.