Learn to program in Ruby, a ﬂexible and beginner-friendly language used to create sites like Codecademy.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary9 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Ruby is a general-purpose language that is still popular and in high demand in the marketplace, as it’s more commonly used in Rails applications.
Concise and readable, it is easy to pick up but also plenty powerful. Companies like Twitter, Soundcloud, Goodreads, and Kickstarter got their products off the ground with Ruby.
Learn Ruby course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- This course is perfect for beginners like myself. I've learned some basics of Ruby and now I'm looking forward to practising them with my teacher. Thank you!Anastasiia R.Verified Learner
- This was the only solution I could find to really understand the Ruby programming language thoroughly. I still have a ways to go, but Codecademy's Ruby course is the GOAT!John S.Verified Learner
- This is a fantastic way to start learning Ruby. I really learned a lot, it really helped me with my class I was able start writing Ruby code.Jose S.Verified Learner
Our learners work at
Frequently asked questions about Ruby
Ruby is an open-source programming language, making it free for anyone to use or contribute to. It’s also cross-platform, so you can run its code on any operating system. Ruby’s syntax lacks many of the special symbols you’ll find in some other languages, and as a general-purpose language, it has a wide range of applications.
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn Ruby today!
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Software Engineering in Python ILearn about the fundamental principles that differentiate programming for data science from programming for engineering.8 hours
- Free course
Learn C++: Classes and ObjectsSharpen your C++ skills by learning how to use C++ classes and objects to build more scalable, modular programs.1 hour
Learn Intermediate Python 3Learn Intermediate Python 3 and practice leveraging Python’s unique features to build powerful, sophisticated applications.With Certificate19 hours
Browse more topics
- Ruby446,440 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,870,187 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,208,440 learners enrolled
- For Business9,745,904 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,433,466 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,780,681 learners enrolled
- Python4,527,212 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,093,219 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,893,495 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.