Time to completeApprox. 8 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Information is all around us. You can put it to use by learning SQL basics. Used in data science, analytics, and engineering, SQL makes it easy to work with data and make more informed strategy, operations, and business decisions. It’s a helpful skill for anyone who works with data (even in non-tech roles). In this SQL course, you’ll learn how to manage large datasets and analyze real data.
Skills you'll gain
Work with databases using SQL
Create queries for tables
Build SQL projects
Syllabus4 lessons • 5 projects • 4 quizzes
Hands-on learningDon’t just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You’ll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Projects in this course
Create a TableBuild fluency in SQL manipulation. We're going to practice creating tables in SQL so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world.
New York RestaurantsPractice writing the most common types of queries.
Trends in StartupsIn this project, we're going to practice aggregate functions in SQL so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Using these functions will combine row values together and return a single result.
Learn SQL course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- This course is great for people with no prior knowledge on SQL. I feel that it digs deep without overwhelming you with too much information and you can really learn at your own speed. Great overall.Anthony T.Verified Learner
- I really enjoyed how the course touches on the essential with just enough context. It was exactly what I was looking for to start using SQL to query data the next day. The practice ground and guide was very useful as wellY. A.Verified Learner
- I learned SQL in my college course but I liked they way codecademy taught it a lot better! I liked the visual graphics of how the tables transform when they merge together since I have issues visualizing the actual changes.Chelsey N.Verified Learner
Our learners work at
Frequently asked questions about SQL
SQL (Structured Query Language) is a programming language used to manage data stored in relational databases, which store structured data in tables. Its syntax is easy to read, so it’s easy to pick up on even if you’re completely new to programming, and it’s even useful for non-technical careers.
Looking for something else?
What is a Relational Database Management System?Learn about RDBMS and the language used to access large datasets – SQL.
Common SQL Interview QuestionsPractice with some common SQL interview questions.
Running SQL commands in DB BrowserLearn how to use DB Browser to interact with SQLite databases
Related courses and paths
- Skill path
Analyze Data with SQLLearn to analyze data with SQL and prepare for technical interviews.Includes 8 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly16 hours
- Free course
Learn SQL: Multiple TablesCombine data stored across multiple tables using joins, unions, and temporary tables.Beginner Friendly2 hours
- Free course
Intro to SQLUse SQL to create, access, and update tables of data in a relational database.Beginner Friendly2 hours
Browse more topics
- Data Science5,570,970 learners enrolled
- SQL1,515,178 learners enrolled
- For Business9,515,799 learners enrolled
- Data Engineering3,391,020 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,728,722 learners enrolled
- IT3,693,958 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations12,500,334 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,141,233 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,627,028 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.