Back-End Engineer (2021 Version)
Back-end developers deal with the hidden processes that run behind the scenes, building APIs and databases that power the front-end.
Includes Node.JS, Express.JS, PostgreSQL, Back-End, Security, and more.
Time to complete4 Months
Certificate of completionYes
About this career path
NOTE: This Path contains the syllabus from 2021. For the Path with the updated syllabus, please visit the Catalog.
Syllabus48 units • 99 lessons • 49 projects • 75 quizzes
Welcome to the Back-End Engineer Path
Welcome to the Back-End Engineer Path!
Setting Up Your Dev Environment
Learn about the field of web development and the tools developers use to create websites.
Git and Github, Part I
Learn how to use the Git version control system to keep track of changes and document your work. Then learn markdown and publish your first
Build a Node.js console app that generates random messages each time a user runs the program and version your project with Git/GitHub.
Basics of Back-End Development
Start learning about back-end development and programming servers.
Projects in this career path
Bicycle WorldIt's time to build fluency in command line fundamentals. In this next project, we're going to practice creating items and navigating the file system so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? Being able to navigate through folders and create files is an everyday task of any developer. What's next? The world of bicycles, navigation, and more command line. You got this!
Daily BuzzNavigate through the files and directories of Daily Buzz, a national newspaper.
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Start your new career faster
Learn the skillsThis expertly curated career path gives you all the knowledge and experience you need to start this career.
Prep for interviewsAssess if you're ready to apply for jobs, then build your confidence with code challenges and practice questions.
Get hiredShowcase your skills with a Codecademy professional certification and connect with employers directly.
Looking for something else?
Set Up with Git and GitHubNever fear losing work with this professional versioning system
Bias in Data AnalysisBias is everywhere in data. The key to combatting bias is knowing what to look out for.
How To Install Jupyter Notebook on Mac and WindowsLearn how to install Jupyter Notebook with Conda and pip.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn the Basics of Programming with CodecademyThis course is for new programmers who aren't sure what they want to learn about. Take this course to jumpstart your learning journey!1 hour
- Free course
Choosing a Career in TechAre you feeling confused about where to aim for with your career goals? Take this course to learn about different career options!< 1 hour
- Skill path
Code FoundationsStart your programming journey with an introduction to the world of code and basic concepts.Includes 5 CoursesWith Certificate4 hours
Browse more topics
- Web Development6,899,584 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,248,491 learners enrolled
- For Business9,772,007 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,474,701 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,811,391 learners enrolled
- Python4,552,416 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,118,359 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,921,246 learners enrolled