Back-end developers deal with the hidden processes that run behind the scenes, building APIs and databases that power the front-end.
Includes Node.JS, Express.JS, PostgreSQL, Back-End, SQL, Security, and more.
Time to complete4 months
About this career path
Back-end developers deal with the hidden processes that run behind the scenes, building APIs and databases that power the front-end. This Career Path will teach you the technologies you need to do just that.
Syllabus41 units • 122 lessons • 60 projects • 109 quizzes
Welcome to the Back-End Engineer Path
Welcome to the Back-End Engineer Path!
Setting Up a Dev Environment
Learn about the field of web development and the tools developers use to create websites.
Web Development Fundamentals
Be introduced to the field of web development and create your first web page on the internet.
Hands-on learningDon't just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You'll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Projects in this career path
Bicycle WorldIt's time to build fluency in command line fundamentals. In this next project, we're going to practice creating items and navigating the file system so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? Being able to navigate through folders and create files is an everyday task of any developer. What's next? The world of bicycles, navigation, and more command line. You got this!
Daily BuzzNavigate through the files and directories of Daily Buzz, a national newspaper.
Fashion BlogIt's time to build fluency in HTML Fundamentals. In this next project, we're going to practice Structure in HTML so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? This project will help you to understand and master the building blocks of a webpage. It'll all build up from these foundations. What's next? A blogger, a developer, a stylish website. You got this!
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
What's included in career paths
- AssessmentsTest specific skills needed for top tech careers.
- Professional certificationsProve your expertise to yourself and prospective employers.
- Technical interview prepPractice for the interview with common questions and real coding challenges.
- Career servicesExplore career options and connect with employers that are hiring for in-demand jobs.
Start your new career faster
Learn the skillsThis expertly curated career path gives you all the knowledge and experience you need to start this career.
Prep for interviewsAssess if you're ready to apply for jobs, then build your confidence with code challenges and practice questions.
Get hiredShowcase your skills with a Codecademy professional certification and connect with employers directly.
Career paths teach you exactly what you need to start a new career. Curated by our team of experts, career paths contain a collection of courses, projects, prep for technical interviews, and more. By the end, you’ll be ready to start interviewing for entry-level jobs in the career of your choice.
Looking for something else?
- Skill path
- Career path
Front-End EngineerFront-end engineers work closely with designers to make websites beautiful, functional, and fast.Includes 34 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly124 Lessons