Back-end developers deal with the hidden processes that run behind the scenes, building APIs and databases that power the front-end.
Includes Node.JS, Express.JS, PostgreSQL, Back-End, SQL, Security, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary100 hours
About this career path
Back-end developers deal with the hidden processes that run behind the scenes, building APIs and databases that power the front-end. This Career Path will teach you the technologies you need to do just that.
Syllabus41 units • 122 lessons • 60 projects • 109 quizzes
Welcome to the Back-End Engineer Path
Welcome to the Back-End Engineer Path!
Setting Up a Dev Environment
Learn about the field of web development and the tools developers use to create websites.
Web Development Fundamentals
Be introduced to the field of web development and create your first web page on the internet.
Projects in this career path
Bicycle WorldIt's time to build fluency in command line fundamentals. In this next project, we're going to practice creating items and navigating the file system so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? Being able to navigate through folders and create files is an everyday task of any developer. What's next? The world of bicycles, navigation, and more command line. You got this!
Daily BuzzNavigate through the files and directories of Daily Buzz, a national newspaper.
Fashion BlogIt's time to build fluency in HTML Fundamentals. In this next project, we're going to practice Structure in HTML so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? This project will help you to understand and master the building blocks of a webpage. It'll all build up from these foundations. What's next? A blogger, a developer, a stylish website. You got this!
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Career paths teach you exactly what you need to start a new career. Curated by our team of experts, career paths contain a collection of courses, projects, prep for technical interviews, and more. By the end, you’ll be ready to start interviewing for entry-level jobs in the career of your choice.
What's included in career paths
- AssessmentsTest specific skills needed for top tech careers.
- Professional certificationsProve your expertise to yourself and prospective employers.
- Technical interview prepPractice for the interview with common questions and real coding challenges.
- Career servicesExplore career options and connect with employers that are hiring for in-demand jobs.
Start your new career faster
Learn the skillsThis expertly curated career path gives you all the knowledge and experience you need to start this career.
Prep for interviewsAssess if you're ready to apply for jobs, then build your confidence with code challenges and practice questions.
Get hiredShowcase your skills with a Codecademy professional certification and connect with employers directly.
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
- Career path
Front-End EngineerFront-end engineers work closely with designers to make websites beautiful, functional, and fast.Includes 34 CoursesWith Professional Certification115 hours
- Free course
Learn the Basics of Programming with CodecademyThis course is for new programmers who aren't sure what they want to learn about. Take this course to jumpstart your learning journey!1 hour
- Free course
Choosing a Career in TechAre you feeling confused about where to aim for with your career goals? Take this course to learn about different career options!< 1 hour
Browse more topics
- Web Development6,863,104 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,198,737 learners enrolled
- For Business9,739,276 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,423,561 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,773,222 learners enrolled
- Python4,521,185 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,087,334 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,886,895 learners enrolled