Start your programming journey with an introduction to the world of code and basic concepts.
Includes Technical Literacy, Career Overviews, Programming Concepts, and more.
Time to complete2 weeks
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
Interested in learning how to code, but unsure where to start? This path provides an overview of the main branches of programming: computer science, web development, and data science. It teaches important concepts you’ll find in every coding language, such as variables, functions, and control flow. Take this path to understand key programming terms and chart your course to a more technical career.
Skills you'll gain
- Learn coding 101
- Explore careers in tech
- Communicate with developers
Syllabus5 units • 15 lessons • 7 quizzes
Code Foundations: Introduction
Welcome to Code Foundations!
Learn How to Code
New to coding? Start here and learn programming fundamentals that can be helpful for any language you learn.
In this track, you will explore the history, concepts, and applications of Computer Science through a series of interactive videos, lessons, and articles.
Interested in web development? This track will cover the history of the internet and what essential languages you need to learn to start building your own web pages.
Data Science is one of the fastest growing fields. In this track, you will learn about what makes up Data Science and all the interesting things you can do with it.
Hands-on learningDon't just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You'll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Code Foundations with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
Data Science ApplicationsRead about the different projects you can do with data science!
What is R?And what is R programming used for?
Netflix Recommendation EngineLearn how machine learning algorithms impact our daily lives by analyzing one of the most influential algorithms there is: the Netflix recommendation engine!
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn What to LearnIn this quick free course, you'll get the info you need to make your own decisions about what to learn.Beginner Friendly2 hours
- Skill path
Data Science FoundationsLearn to clean, analyze, and visualize data with Python and SQL.Includes 15 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly56 hours
- Career path
Data Scientist: Inference SpecialistInference Data Scientists run A/B tests, do root-cause analysis, and conduct experiments. They use Python, SQL, and R to analyze data.Includes 24 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly85 hours
Browse more topics
- Code Foundations12,504,472 learners enrolled
- For Business9,518,168 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,145,442 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,629,762 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,574,259 learners enrolled
- Python4,368,657 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing3,950,424 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,731,593 learners enrolled
- IT3,696,760 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.