Looking for an introduction to the theory behind programming? Master Python while learning data structures, algorithms, and more!
Includes Python, Command Line, Git, Data Structures, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary80 hours
About this career path
Interested in the fundamentals of computer science with Python? This path offers a flexible and accessible method for learning computer science whether you’re interested in studying CS or looking to level up your theoretical knowledge for technical screens.
Syllabus6 units • 82 lessons • 36 projects • 70 quizzes
CS100: Getting Started with the Computer Science Career Path
Kickstart your coding life as you learn all about the programming language Python, and the techniques used when writing it.
CS101: Introduction to Programming
Keep going with Python and learn about its built-in data structures.
CS102: Data Structures and Algorithms
Learn about virtualization of computer memory by building the fundamental data structures of computer science: lists, stacks, and queues.
Learn how data is stored using PostgreSQL, a popular relational database management system.
CS104: Computer Architecture
Learn about the rules, organization of components, and processes that allow computers to process instructions.
CS105: Discrete Math
Learn about discrete math, the math of computer science!
Projects in this career path
Block LettersDisplay your initials on the screen in block letters and create an ASCII art.
Magic 8-BallWe’ve learned about and explored a powerful tool in Python — control flow! It’s so powerful, in fact, that it can be used to tell someone’s fortune.
Sal's ShippingUse your knowledge of control flow to create a program that will help Sal's customers get the best deals on all their shipping needs.
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Career paths teach you exactly what you need to start a new career. Curated by our team of experts, career paths contain a collection of courses, projects, prep for technical interviews, and more. By the end, you’ll be ready to start interviewing for entry-level jobs in the career of your choice.
What's included in career paths
- AssessmentsTest specific skills needed for top tech careers.
- Professional certificationsProve your expertise to yourself and prospective employers.
- Technical interview prepPractice for the interview with common questions and real coding challenges.
- Career servicesExplore career options and connect with employers that are hiring for in-demand jobs.
Start your new career faster
Learn the skillsThis expertly curated career path gives you all the knowledge and experience you need to start this career.
Prep for interviewsAssess if you're ready to apply for jobs, then build your confidence with code challenges and practice questions.
Get hiredShowcase your skills with a Codecademy professional certification and connect with employers directly.
Looking for something else?
What is Python?What is Python, and what can it do?
Programming in Python on a ChromebookThis article will teach you how to run Python code on Chromebooks so you can do off-platform Python projects on your Chromebook.
Installing Python 3 and Python PackagesLearn how to install Python packages and download Python 3 with Anaconda and Miniconda on Mac and Windows.
Related courses and paths
- Skill path
Pass the Technical Interview with PythonLearn about the computer science concepts of data structures and algorithms and build implementations of each from scratch in modern Python.Includes 8 CoursesWith Certificate25 hours
Learn Python 3Learn the basics of Python 3, one of the most powerful, versatile, and in-demand programming languages today.With Certificate25 hours
- Free course
Python for ProgrammersAn introduction to the basic syntax and fundamentals of Python for experienced programmers.3 hours
Browse more topics
- Computer Science7,437,922 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,212,883 learners enrolled
- For Business9,748,895 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,873,620 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,784,044 learners enrolled
- Python4,529,956 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,095,913 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,896,552 learners enrolled
- IT3,853,835 learners enrolled