Looking for an introduction to the theory behind programming? Master Python while learning data structures, algorithms, and more!
Includes Python, Command Line, Git, Data Structures, and more.
Time to complete20 weeks
About this career path
Interested in the fundamentals of computer science with Python? This path offers a flexible and accessible method for learning computer science whether you’re interested in studying CS or looking to level up your theoretical knowledge for technical screens.
Syllabus6 units • 82 lessons • 36 projects • 70 quizzes
CS100: Getting Started with the Computer Science Career Path
Kickstart your coding life as you learn all about the programming language Python, and the techniques used when writing it.
CS101: Introduction to Programming
Keep going with Python and learn about its built-in data structures.
CS102: Data Structures and Algorithms
Learn about virtualization of computer memory by building the fundamental data structures of computer science: lists, stacks, and queues.
Learn how data is stored using PostgreSQL, a popular relational database management system.
CS104: Computer Architecture
Learn about the rules, organization of components, and processes that allow computers to process instructions.
CS105: Discrete Math
Learn about discrete math, the math of computer science!
Hands-on learningDon't just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You'll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Projects in this career path
Block LettersDisplay your initials on the screen in block letters and create an ASCII art.
Magic 8-BallWe’ve learned about and explored a powerful tool in Python — control flow! It’s so powerful, in fact, that it can be used to tell someone’s fortune.
Sal's ShippingUse your knowledge of control flow to create a program that will help Sal's customers get the best deals on all their shipping needs.
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
What's included in career paths
- AssessmentsTest specific skills needed for top tech careers.
- Professional certificationsProve your expertise to yourself and prospective employers.
- Technical interview prepPractice for the interview with common questions and real coding challenges.
- Career servicesExplore career options and connect with employers that are hiring for in-demand jobs.
Start your new career faster
Learn the skillsThis expertly curated career path gives you all the knowledge and experience you need to start this career.
Prep for interviewsAssess if you're ready to apply for jobs, then build your confidence with code challenges and practice questions.
Get hiredShowcase your skills with a Codecademy professional certification and connect with employers directly.
Career paths teach you exactly what you need to start a new career. Curated by our team of experts, career paths contain a collection of courses, projects, prep for technical interviews, and more. By the end, you’ll be ready to start interviewing for entry-level jobs in the career of your choice.
Looking for something else?
- Career path
Data Scientist: Machine Learning SpecialistMachine Learning Data Scientists solve problems at scale, make predictions, find patterns, and more! They use Python, SQL, and algorithms.Includes 27 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly81 Lessons
- Skill path
Analyze Data with Python (2022 Version)Learn to analyze and visualize data using Python and statistics.Includes 8 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly28 Lessons