Create REST APIs with Spring and Java
By the end of this Skill Path, you will have created your very own API using the Spring framework and Java language.
Includes Spring, Java, REST APIs, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary20 hours
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
Get a cup of Java and prepare to Spring into web development! Learn the Java programming language, understand web concepts such as HTTP, REST, and CRUD, then build a web API with the Spring framework. Spring is packed with built-in tools, so you can get controllers and a database setup without any additional libraries.
Skills you'll gain
- Build a back-end application
- Use Java for web development
- Create a web API
Syllabus9 units • 20 lessons • 15 projects • 18 quizzes
Welcome to the Build APIs with Spring Skill Path
Welcome to the Spring and Java Skill Path!
Learn the basics of Java
Learn additional Java topics
Web and Spring Basics
Learn how the web works and how Spring fits into it
Responding to Requests
Respond to HTTP requests using Spring controllers and annotations
Learn about the technology underlying the Spring framework: Spring beans and Spring Boot
Data with JPA
Add databases to you Spring applications with Spring Data JPA
Projects in this skill path
Planting a TreeWrite your first Java program from scratch by introducing yourself to users and planting a tree for them. You'll practice creating a class, defining the main method, and organizing print statements.
Java Variables: Mad LibsIn this project, we're going to practice creating variables and printing. We're going to put your skills to the test by generating a story, Mad Libs style.
Math MagicIt's time to build fluency with operators in Java. In this project, we're going to practice arithmetic in Java so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world. Why? Practicing computing integer values with Java's arithmetic operators will help you with a wide, wide range of Java tasks in the future. What's next? Some math, more Java, and a sprinkle of magic. You got this!
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Create REST APIs with Spring and Java with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn Spring: Fundamentals and ControllersGet started on learning how to use Java to work with the Spring framework.3 hours
- Free course
Learn JavaLearn to code in Java — a robust programming language used to create software, web and mobile apps, and more.16 hours
- Free course
Learn Spring: Building an AppLearn about the underlying technology, Beans and Boot, that support the Spring framework to build out an app.2 hours
Browse more topics
- Web Development6,870,187 learners enrolled
- Java1,713,602 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,208,440 learners enrolled
- For Business9,745,904 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,433,466 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,780,681 learners enrolled
- Python4,527,212 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,093,219 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,893,495 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.