Create Video Games with Phaser.js
It’s easy to get lost in the flow of a good game. But behind every power-up and boss battle is simple code that brings the game to life.
Time to complete6 weeks
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
In this Skill Path, you will learn how to translate abstract game mechanics into code and play your creation, create interactive elements using the fundamental language of the internet and implement one of the most popular HTML5 game frameworks.
Skills you'll gain
- Build games from scratch
- Use the Phaser.js library
Syllabus8 units • 18 lessons • 24 projects • 12 quizzes
Learning how to use arrays to create lists and then loops will serve you well as a programmer (and pirate in “Treasure Hunter”).
Learn how to incorporate higher order functions and iterators into your programming toolbelt. Then try your skills in “Cube Matcher”.
Expand the possibilities of what you can code by incorporating objects. Test your understanding in the game, “Electric Mouse”.
Learn Phaser Basics and Physics
Get started with learning the basics of the Phaser framework and then leveling up with physics.
Hands-on learningDon't just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You'll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Projects in this skill path
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Create Video Games with Phaser.js with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
HTML5 Game Development with PhaserLearn about HTML5 game development with one of the most popular frameworks, Phaser!
Developing Phaser 3 Games LocallyLearn how to develop Phaser 3 games locally on your own computer.
Phaser Quick GuideNeed a quick reference to fundamental Phaser concepts? Check this guide out!
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn Phaser.js: Animations and VisualsMake your Phaser game stand out visually using animations and camera effects.Intermediate2 hours
- Free course
Learn Phaser.js: FundamentalsLearn about the HTML5 game development framework that makes writing browser-based games a breeze.Intermediate2 hours
- Free course
Learn Phaser.js: PhysicsMake your Phaser game feel more like the real world by incorporating the rules of physics.Intermediate2 hours
Browse more topics
- Game Development174,261 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations12,500,334 learners enrolled
- For Business9,515,799 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,141,233 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,627,028 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,570,970 learners enrolled
- Python4,366,001 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing3,947,922 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.