Design Databases With PostgreSQL
Learn how to query SQL databases and design relational databases to efficiently store large quantities of data.
Includes PostgreSQL, SQL, Databases, Back-End, Indexes, Normalization, and more.
Time to complete30 hours
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
Data is only as useful as the database it’s stored in. In this Skill Path, you will learn how to store and access relational data in PostgreSQL, an industry standard database management system used by AWS. Learn how to design efficient relational databases while using industry-standard techniques to maintain data integrity.
Skills you'll gain
- Query databases using SQL
- Design efficient PostgreSQL databases
- Apply constraints to keep data intact
Syllabus5 units • 11 lessons • 10 projects • 9 quizzes
What Is A Database?
Let’s get started by learning what a database is and how to set one up on your own computer.
What Can I Do With A Database?
Learn how to write basic queries to get information out of the databases you’re working with.
How Do I Make And Populate My Own Database?
Learn how to properly design a database by learning about database schemas, relationships, and keys.
How Do I Make Sure My Database Stays Intact?
Learn how to add constraints to your database! One of the advantages of databases is ensuring your data is entered in the format you expect.
How Do I Make Sure My Database Stays Fast?
Learn how to optimize your database by using indexes and normalization.
Hands-on learningDon't just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You'll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Projects in this skill path
Create a TableBuild fluency in SQL manipulation. We're going to practice creating tables in SQL so you can hone your skills and feel confident taking them to the real world.
New York RestaurantsPractice writing the most common types of queries.
Analyze Hacker News TrendsQuery Hacker News data using SQL to discover trends.
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Design Databases With PostgreSQL with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
What is a Relational Database Management System?Learn about RDBMS and the language used to access large datasets – SQL.
Database Scaling StrategiesLearn about two strategies to help scale a database.
What is a Database?Learn about databases and how they can be used when building applications.
Related courses and paths
- Career path
Data EngineerA data engineer builds the pipelines to connect data input to analysis.Includes 17 CoursesWith CertificateBeginner Friendly90 hours
- Career path
Back-End EngineerBack-end developers deal with the hidden processes that run behind the scenes, building APIs and databases that power the front-end.Includes 41 CoursesWith Professional CertificationBeginner Friendly100 hours
- Free course
Learn the Basics of Programming with CodecademyThis course is for new programmers who aren't sure what they want to learn about. Take this course to jumpstart your learning journey!Beginner Friendly1 hour
Browse more topics
- Data Science5,576,571 learners enrolled
- SQL1,516,852 learners enrolled
- Data Engineering3,395,301 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations12,507,318 learners enrolled
- For Business9,519,871 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,148,317 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,631,800 learners enrolled
- Python4,370,590 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing3,952,070 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.