Fundamental Math for Data Science
Build the mathematical skills you need to work in data science.
Includes Probability, Descriptive Statistics, Linear Regression, Matrix Algebra, Calculus, Hypothesis Testing, and more.
Time to complete5 weeks
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
Data scientists use math as well as coding to create and understand analytics. Whether you want to understand the language of analytics, produce your own analyses, or even build the skills to do machine learning, this Skill Path targets the fundamental math you will need. Learn probability, statistics, linear algebra, and calculus as they are applied to real-world data analysis!
Skills you'll gain
- Speak the language of data science
- Perform hypothesis tests
- Use code to do mathematics
Syllabus8 units • 16 lessons • 8 projects • 9 quizzes
Welcome to Fundamental Math for Data Science
Overview of material in the Fundamental Math for Data Science Skill Path
Learn how to summarize quantitative variables categorical variables in Python using numerical summary statistics.
Learn the fundamentals of probability by investigating random events.
Learn about hypothesis testing and implement binomial and one-sample t-tests in Python.
Learn about linear algebra and how to perform operations with matrices and vectors.
Learn about calculus and how to analyze functions using limits and derivatives.
Final Problem Set
Assess your knowledge with a final problem set.
Hands-on learningDon't just watch or read about someone else coding — write your own code live in our online, interactive platform. You'll even get AI-driven recommendations on what you need to review to help keep you on track.
Projects in this skill path
Heart Disease Research Part IInvestigate risk factors for heart disease using descriptive statistics and hypothesis tests.
Image Transformations with NumPyUse NumPy and linear algebra knowledge to do fun image transformations!
Limit Definition of the Derivative ExplorationExplore the limit definition of the derivative using Python.
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Fundamental Math for Data Science with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
- Free course
ProbabilityLearn the fundamentals of probability and how to quantify and visualize uncertainty.Beginner Friendly4 hours
- Career path
Data Scientist: Machine Learning SpecialistMachine Learning Data Scientists solve problems at scale, make predictions, find patterns, and more! They use Python, SQL, and algorithms.Includes 27 CoursesWith Professional CertificationBeginner Friendly90 hours
- Free course
Learn the Basics of Programming with CodecademyThis course is for new programmers who aren't sure what they want to learn about. Take this course to jumpstart your learning journey!Beginner Friendly1 hour
Browse more topics
- Python4,366,001 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,570,970 learners enrolled
- Math83,245 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations12,500,334 learners enrolled
- For Business9,515,799 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,141,233 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,627,028 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing3,947,922 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,728,722 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.