Fundamentals of Cybersecurity
Learn the Cybersecurity fundamentals that will lay a foundation for securing your technology and personal life from dangerous cyber threats.
Includes Cyber Attacks, Social Engineering, Threat Actors, Third-Party Risks, Intelligence Sources, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary3 hours
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
How do hackers gain access to a system? What is ransomware and why is it so dangerous? Does the average person need to be worried, or are only large companies at risk from threat actors? Using CompTIA’s Security+ Certification as a guide, learn the strategies attackers use, who these attackers are, and how you can strive to stay one step ahead.
Skills you'll gain
- Learn social engineering techniques
- Identify types of common cyber attacks
- Explore security assessment strategies
Syllabus5 units • 4 lessons • 10 quizzes
Welcome to the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity Skill Path
Start your Cybersecurity journey by learning key fundamentals.
Learn about WHY we should care about Cybersecurity as well as some avenues to enter Cybersecurity.
Learn about common Cyber Attacks.
Cybersecurity Assessment and Research
Learn about Threat Actors as well as ways to assess and research security.
Review of Fundamentals of Cybersecurity
You’ve completed the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity Skill Path! What’s next?
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Fundamentals of Cybersecurity with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
Conducting Trustworthy Research with ChatGPTUse ChatGPT to help conduct trustworthy research
The Evolution of CybersecurityIn this article, you'll explore the evolution of hacking and cybersecurity.
The Cybersecurity IndustryIn this article, we will break down common domains in cybersecurity.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Introduction to CybersecurityLearn about the fast-growing field of cybersecurity and how to protect your data and information from digital attacks.3 hours
- Free course
Introduction to Personal Digital SecurityHackers and cyber threats are a fact of today's modern, digital world. Everyone needs to be able to protect themselves from these threats.1 hour
- Free course
Learn About CSRF AttacksLearn how to identify and the ways to prevent Cross-Site Request Forgery Attacks from a system.< 1 hour
Browse more topics
- Cybersecurity158,470 learners enrolled
- IT3,860,812 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,223,128 learners enrolled
- For Business9,755,284 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,448,262 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,880,841 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,791,767 learners enrolled
- Python4,536,495 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,102,481 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.