Apply Natural Language Processing with Python
Learn Python for Natural Language Processing, the field behind chatbots, search engines, and autocorrect.
Includes Machine Learning, Data Science, Python, Regular Expression, NLTK, spaCy, TensorFlow, scikit-learn, Genism, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary10 hours
Certificate of completionYes
Prerequisites2 coursesWe suggest you complete the following courses before you get started with Apply Natural Language Processing with Python:
- Getting Started with Python for Data Science
- Python for Data Science: Working with Data
About this skill path
Natural language processing (NLP) is all about how computers work with human language. From your virtual assistant recommending a restaurant to that terrible autocorrect you sent your cousin, the field is a rapidly growing presence in our lives. This Skill Path will get you started using Python to analyze and even generate text. Don’t just use NLP tools — make them!
Skills you'll gain
- Parse text with regular expressions
- Create computer models of text
- Generate text with deep learning
Syllabus8 units • 8 lessons • 4 projects • 8 quizzes
Welcome to the Natural Language Processing Skill Path
Your NLP journey starts here.
Getting Started with Natural Language Processing
Delve into the exciting world of Natural Language Processing (NLP) with this overview of major topics in the field.
Get a taste of regular expressions (regex) and find out how to prepare your text data for most NLP tasks.
Apply regular expressions (regex) and other natural language parsing tactics to find meaning and insights in the texts you read every day.
Learn different ways to represent language numerically, including bag-of-words, tf-idf, and word embeddings.
Learn about seq2seq and LSTM neural networks commonly used in NLP work and how to implement them for machine translation.
NLP Portfolio Project
You’ve learned a lot and it’s time to show off your skills. Analyze text message data any way you like in this portfolio project.
Projects in this skill path
Discover Insights into Classic TextsPerform a natural language parsing analysis with regular expressions to gain insights into Oscar Wilde's _The Picture of Dorian Gray_ or Homer's _The Iliad!_
Mystery FriendUse scikit-learn's bag-of-words functions and Naive Bayes classifier to figure out which of your friends sent you an anonymous postcard!
Read the News AnalysisIn this project you will use tf-idf to analyze a collection of news articles.
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Apply Natural Language Processing with Python with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
Data Science ApplicationsRead about the different projects you can do with data science!
Long Short Term Memory NetworksLong short-term memory networks (LSTMs) are often used in deep learning programs for natural language processing.
Related courses and paths
- In progress...
Build Chatbots with PythonBuild rules-based and generative AI chatbots with PythonIncludes 6 CoursesWith Certificate30 hours
- Career path
Data Scientist: Natural Language Processing SpecialistNLP Data Scientists find meaning in language, analyze text and speech, and create chatbots. They use Python, SQL, & NLP to answer questions.Includes 31 CoursesWith Certificate100 hours
- Free course
Choosing a Programming LanguageThis course will introduce learners to factors to consider when picking a first language as well as describe some popular options.< 1 hour
Browse more topics
- Python4,532,293 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,786,833 learners enrolled
- Machine Learning1,017,815 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,216,713 learners enrolled
- For Business9,751,337 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,441,649 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,876,488 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,098,222 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,899,068 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.