Learn the fundamentals of PHP, one of the most popular languages of modern web development.
Includes PHP, PHP Basics, PHP and HTML, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary17 hours
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
PHP is a widely used server-side scripting language that has become increasingly fast and powerful through the years. You can also use it on the front-end since PHP can be embedded right into HTML. These features make learning PHP a great option for any web developer. In this skill path, you’ll work through PHP fundamental programming concepts and gain the skills necessary to develop programs in PHP.
Skills you'll gain
- Fundamental programming concepts
- Use PHP with HTML forms
- Create classes and objects
Syllabus8 units • 17 lessons • 12 projects • 14 quizzes
Introduction to the Learn PHP Skill Path
Welcome to the Learn PHP Skill Path!
PHP Variables, Strings, and Numbers
Learn about variables, strings, and numbers in PHP.
Learn about user-defined and built-in functions in PHP.
PHP Conditionals and Logic
Learn about various operators and conditionals in PHP.
PHP Arrays and Loops
Learn about the different types of arrays and loops in PHP.
PHP and HTML
Learn how to embed PHP logic into HTML documents and handle HTML form submission with PHP.
PHP Classes and Objects
Learn about creating and manipulating classes and objects in PHP.
Projects in this skill path
World TravelerHelp a weary traveler convert their various international currencies into USD.
Mad Lib FunctionsIt’s time for you to start building your own functions in PHP. Creating reusable blocks of code is an extremely useful skill in any language. Get started practicing in PHP with this mad lib project!
The Hitchhiker's Guide to PHP Math FunctionsExplore the universe of PHP documentation and find the PHP functions you need for your journey. Applying them correctly will yield the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Learn PHP with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
Common Mistakes with ConditionalsIn this article will go over some mistakes that are easy to make when writing more complex programs with conditionals.
HTML GlossaryProgramming reference for HTML elements.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn PHP: Form Handling and ValidationLearn how to handle HTML forms and validate user data before storing it in a database.4 hours
- Free course
Learn PHP: FunctionsLearn how to use built-in PHP functions to complete common (and some niche) tasks and create your own functions to reuse blocks of code.3 hours
- Free course
Learn PHP: Conditionals and LogicWrite programs that handle complex decision-making using the boolean data type, conditionals, and comparison and logical operators.3 hours
Browse more topics
- PHP297,742 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,876,488 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,216,713 learners enrolled
- For Business9,751,337 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,441,649 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,786,833 learners enrolled
- Python4,532,293 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,098,222 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,899,068 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.