Scan Systems with Nmap
Learn about Nmap and see why it’s such a popular tool for ethical hacking and ethical hackers.
Includes Linux, Command Line, Scripting, Lua, Network Discovery, Networking, Cybersecurity, Nmap, Auditing, Coding, Hacking, Security, Scanning, Discovery, and more.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary4 hours
Certificate of completionYes
About this skill path
Network scanning is essential for cybersecurity professionals to identify any malicious activities and vulnerabilities and gain a better understanding of their network. With the popular ethical hacking tool, Nmap, cybersecurity professionals can efficiently perform network discovery and security auditing. Take this skill path to develop your skill set in network scanning and security auditing.
Skills you'll gain
- Perform network discovery and auditing
- Learn why Lua is used for Nmap scripts
- Create Nmap scripts with Lua
Syllabus5 units • 7 lessons • 2 projects • 3 quizzes
Gain insight into what you will learn in Scan Systems with Nmap
Before diving into Nmap, there are some prerequisites. Cover basic Linux, command line, and networking knowledge before learning about Nmap!
Getting Started with Nmap
Learners will be able to explain what Nmap is and the commonly used Nmap features for system scanning.
Use Nmap scripts with the Nmap Scripting Engine (NSE)! Learners will be able to create and use Nmap scripts written in Lua.
Review: Scan Systems with Nmap
Review what you learned in Scan Systems with Nmap.
Projects in this skill path
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Skill paths help you level-up
Get a specialized skillWant to level up at work? Gain a practical, real-world skill that you can use right away to stand out at your job.
Get step-by-step guidanceWe guide you through exactly where to start and what to learn next to build a new skill.
Get there quicklyWe’ve hand-picked the content in each Skill Path to fast-track your journey and help you gain a new skill in just a few months.
Ready to learn a new skill?Get started on Scan Systems with Nmap with a free Codecademy account.
Looking for something else?
Vulnerability ScansIn this article, you’ll learn about vulnerability scans: Automated scans that search for vulnerabilities and generate reports on their findings.
Red Team ToolsLet's explore offensive tools used by red teams.
Passive & Active ReconnaissanceIn this article, you’ll learn about passive and active reconnaissance: The methods used to gather information by both pen testers and malicious threats.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Introduction to Linux: Bash ScriptingLearn about Bash scripting, a powerful way to combine Bash commands, and write Bash scripts to navigate through your operating system.3 hours
- Free course
Learn LuaLearn the basics of Lua, a general-purpose programming language used for building games, web apps, and developer tools.4 hours
Introduction to LinuxIn this introductory course, we'll be getting familiar with Linux and how to navigate within a Linux environment!With Certificate4 hours
Browse more topics
- Cybersecurity158,024 learners enrolled
- IT3,853,835 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,212,883 learners enrolled
- For Business9,748,895 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,437,922 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,873,620 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,784,044 learners enrolled
- Python4,529,956 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,095,913 learners enrolled
What's included in skill paths
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.