Learn the fundamentals of probability and how to quantify and visualize uncertainty.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary4 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
In this unit, we will cover fundamental rules of probability including how to describe random events. We will cover topics such as set theory, conditional probability, joint probability, Bayes rule, probability distributions, and sampling distributions. These concepts are important in order to understand the likelihood of events, fit machine learning models, and perform hypothesis tests.
Syllabus4 lessons • 2 projects • 3 quizzes
Projects in this course
Detecting Product Defects with ProbabilityDetermine the number of defective products made at a factory on a given day. Apply concepts from the Poisson distribution, including random variables, the probability mass function, the cumulative distribution function, and expected values.
Sampling Distributions Dance Party!Investigate sampling distributions of Spotify data!
Probability course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Frequently asked questions about Probability
Probability is a type of math that helps us determine the chances of something happening. For example: When you flip a coin, there’s a 50/50 chance of it landing on either heads or tails. That’s essentially what probability is — calculating the likelihood of a certain outcome or event.
Join over 50 million learners and start Probability today!
Looking for something else?
Netflix Recommendation EngineLearn how machine learning algorithms impact our daily lives by analyzing one of the most influential algorithms there is: the Netflix recommendation engine!
Installing Python 3 and Python PackagesLearn how to install Python packages and download Python 3 with Anaconda and Miniconda on Mac and Windows.
What is Product Usability?In this article, you'll understand product usability by learning about five critical components of usability: learnability, efficiency, memorability, errors, and satisfaction.
Related courses and paths
- Skill path
Master Statistics with PythonLearn the statistics behind data science, from summary statistics to regression models.Includes 9 CoursesWith Certificate26 hours
- Skill path
Machine Learning and AI FundamentalsLearn the coding, data science, and math you need to get started as a Machine Learning or AI engineer.Includes 9 CoursesWith Certificate39 hours
- Skill path
Data Science FoundationsLearn to clean, analyze, and visualize data with Python and SQL.Includes 15 CoursesWith Certificate56 hours
Browse more topics
- Python4,521,185 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,773,222 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,886,895 learners enrolled
- Math87,438 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,198,737 learners enrolled
- For Business9,739,276 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,423,561 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,863,104 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,087,334 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.