Prompt Engineering for Software Engineers
Want to use AI programming tools to improve your coding? Learn the basics of prompt engineering and write quality prompts you can use to accomplish tasks.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary1 hour
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
In this course, you will learn about different prompts that can be used to accomplish programming tasks using the power of artificial intelligence. You’ll explore the generation of Bash commands, regular expressions, and database queries. Then move on to generating classes and unit tests to ensure code quality and reliability and refactoring code to improve readability and maintainability.
Skills you'll gain
Write bash commands
Create regular expressions
Test and refactor code
Use Generative AI to debug issues
Syllabus2 lessons • 2 quizzes
Prompt Engineering for Software Engineers course ratings and reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
10 In-Demand AI Skills Freelancers Should Learn Now
There’s a common saying in business that you should “fish where the fish are,” in other words, focus your efforts in the places where you’re likely to find success. When it comes to freelance tech work today, there are plenty of metaphorical “fish” in AI.
From writing effective prompts for AI chatbots to knowing how to test deep learning models, understanding the nuances of AI systems and how to use them gives you a valuable edge. Read on to learn which skills are best suited for freelancers who are looking to reel in some new business.
Join over 50 million learners and start Prompt Engineering for Software Engineers today!
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Pair Programming with Generative AI Case StudyUse generative AI for pair programming by teaming up with an AI system to generate Python code in the driver-navigator style of pair programming< 1 hour
- Free course
Unit Testing with Generative AI Case StudyUse generative AI to help create a unit test for Python code. Generative AI can generate unit tests for all of the functions of a Python class.< 1 hour
- Free course
Creating Marketing Assets with Generative AI Case StudyUse ChatGPT and DALL-E 3 to create various forms of marketing assets from product descriptions to company logos.< 1 hour
Browse more topics
- Computer Science7,433,466 learners enrolled
- AI2,695,885 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,208,440 learners enrolled
- For Business9,745,904 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,870,187 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,780,681 learners enrolled
- Python4,527,212 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,093,219 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,893,495 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.