Learn Authentication with Ruby on Rails
Learn how to add user sign up, login & logout functionality to your Rails applications.
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary3 hours
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
Prerequisites2 coursesWe suggest you complete the following courses before you get started with Learn Authentication with Ruby on Rails:
- Learn Ruby
- Learn Ruby on Rails
About this course
Most applications out there require you to sign up. As a user, you can sign up for a service, log in, and log out when you’re done. As a creator of a web app, you probably don’t want every user to have access to every single part of the app—like customer details, security information, raw data—so you’ll want to restrict access. Rails: Authentication teaches you how to do this within a Rails application.
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Join over 50 million learners and start Learn Authentication with Ruby on Rails today!
Looking for something else?
Authentication vs Authorization vs EncryptionIn this article, you’ll get an overview of three key concepts in web security: Authentication, Authorization, & Encryption.
Setup RubySetup Ruby on your own computer
Authentication and OAuthLearn about app authentication and the basics of OAuth.
Related courses and paths
- Free course
Learn Flask: Accounts and AuthenticationAdd personalization and security to Flask apps with accounts and authentication.2 hours
- Skill path
Securing Express ApplicationsLearn how to defend against malicious attacks and improve user experiences using sessions, cookies, and password authentication.Includes 5 CoursesWith Certificate8 hours
- Free course
OWASP Top 10: Identification and Authentication FailuresYou will learn about Identification and Authentication Failures, what are they, and how to prevent them.< 1 hour
Browse more topics
- Ruby446,577 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,878,519 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,219,674 learners enrolled
- For Business9,753,225 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,444,730 learners enrolled
- Data Science5,789,101 learners enrolled
- Python4,534,218 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,100,178 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,901,157 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.