Statistics: Variance and Standard Deviation
Learn how to calculate, interpret, and report the variance and standard deviation
Time to completeAverage based on combined completion rates — individual pacing in lessons, projects, and quizzes may vary1 hour
Certificate of completionIncluded with paid plans
About this course
Datasets are more than just a single number, and this course teaches you how to calculate, interpret, and report the variance and standard deviation. You’ll learn how the standard deviation helps describe a dataset and what it means to have both low and high variance and standard deviation.
Skills you'll gain
Calculate variance and standard deviation
Explain what the variance and standard deviation mean about a dataset
Accurately report the variance and standard deviation
Projects in this course
Reviews from learners
- The progress I have made since starting to use codecademy is immense! I can study for short periods or long periods at my own convenience - mostly late in the evenings.ChrisCodecademy Learner @ USA
- I felt like I learned months in a week. I love how Codecademy uses learning by practice and gives great challenges to help the learner to understand a new concept and subject.RodrigoCodecademy Learner @ UK
- Brilliant learning experience. Very interactive. Literally a game changer if you're learning on your own.John-AndrewCodecademy Learner @ USA
Our learners work at
Join over 50 million learners and start Statistics: Variance and Standard Deviation today!
Looking for something else?
Related courses and paths
Learn Statistics with PythonLearn how to calculate and interpret several descriptive statistics using the Python library NumPy.With Certificate4 hours
- Free course
Learn RLearn how to code and clean and manipulate data for analysis and visualization with the R programming language.14 hours
- Skill path
Analyze Data with PythonLearn to analyze and visualize data using Python and statistics.Includes 7 CoursesWith Certificate12 hours
Browse more topics
- Data Science5,799,040 learners enrolled
- Data Analytics3,910,097 learners enrolled
- Code Foundations13,232,515 learners enrolled
- For Business9,761,571 learners enrolled
- Computer Science7,457,642 learners enrolled
- Web Development6,887,772 learners enrolled
- Python4,542,297 learners enrolled
- Cloud Computing4,108,237 learners enrolled
- IT3,867,128 learners enrolled
Unlock additional features with a paid plan
Practice ProjectsGuided projects that help you solidify the skills and concepts you're learning.
AssessmentsAuto-graded quizzes and immediate feedback help you reinforce your skills as you learn.
Certificate of CompletionEarn a document to prove you've completed a course or path that you can share with your network.