Binary is a number system of 1’s and 0’s which serves as a textual representation method for giving instructions to a computers CPU.
In computing and telecommunications, binary codes are used for various methods of encoding data such as turning the character strings of source code, into bit strings or instruction sets for the CPU to execute.
A device called a clock sends out regular pulses, and components such as transistors switch on (1) or off (0) to pass or block the pulses. In a transistor:
- “0” represents no flow of electricity or “off”.
- “1” represents electricity being allowed to flow or “on”.
Binary digits can be grouped together into bytes. Binary codes activate the CPU, and the processor executes the binary. Bit is short for binary digit.
The Binary system was created by Gottfried Leibniz in 1689.
- theeguru___45 total contributions
- garanews222 total contributions
- Anonymous contributorAnonymous contributor3077 total contributions