Published Mar 27, 2023Updated Mar 31, 2023
Contribute to Docs
Developer tools are the technologies used in the development of software. Although the suite of applications used by a team or individual developer can vary significantly, there are several classes of tools that are broadly adopted in the service of creating software applications. Below are some common tools leveraged by software developers:
- Abstract Syntax Tree
- An abstract syntax tree is a language-agnostic, hierarchical representation of the elements comprising the source code of a computer program.
- Code Editor
- A code editor is a program designed for writing software and utilizing human-readable text to make code easier to parse and understand.
- An IDE, or Integrated Development Environment, enables programmers to consolidate the different aspects of writing a computer program.
- Version Control
- Version control is a system that helps manage changes to code or documents over time.
Looking to contribute?
- Learn more about how to get involved.
- Edit this page on GitHub to fix an error or make an improvement.
- Submit feedback to let us know how we can improve Docs.
Learn More on Codecademy
Code FoundationsStart your programming journey with an introduction to the world of code and basic concepts.
Includes 5 Courses