Published Mar 11, 2022Updated Oct 26, 2022
Contribute to Docs
Functions hold a distinct place among the data types. They are blocks of code that yield results or perform a specific task. In some programming languages, they are processed as objects of data. This is because in some languages they are derived from objects and its closest classification is with composite data types.
Many languages treat functions as first-class objects, which means:
- They can be assigned to variables.
- They can be passed as arguments to or returned by other functions.
Functions in Different Languages
Looking to contribute?
- Learn more about how to get involved.
- Edit this page on GitHub to fix an error or make an improvement.
- Submit feedback to let us know how we can improve Docs.
Learn More on Codecademy
Computer ScienceLooking for an introduction to the theory behind programming? Master Python while learning data structures, algorithms, and more!
Includes 6 Courses
With Professional Certification