Regex, short for regular expressions, is a powerful system for searching text. Regular expressions are implemented in a variety of languages including java and python.
Regular expressions are accessed by importing the
import re regex = r"this is a regex pattern"
For the most part, regex patterns are expressed with raw string notation (hence, the preceding
The following entries explore some terms and operations related to Python regular expressions:
- Matches or qualifies regular character patterns or other expressions.
- Returns a list of every pattern match that occurs in a given string.
- Returns a matching character pattern at the beginning of a given string.
- Returns the first match of a character pattern anywhere in a given string.
- Divides a string into substrings at each occurrence of the specified character(s).
- Replace matching substrings with a new string for all occurrences, or a specified number.
Interested in helping build Docs? Read the Contribution Guide or share your thoughts in this feedback form.
Learn Python on Codecademy
Computer ScienceLooking for an introduction to the theory behind programming? Master Python while learning data structures, algorithms, and more!
Includes 6 Courses
With Professional Certification